Charles Todd Quintard, Bishop

Today, the Episcopal Church commemorates Charles Todd Quintard, second bishop of Tennessee. He was born in Stamford, Connecticut in 1824, and attended Trinity School in New York. In 1847, Quintard received his M.D. degree from University Medical College, New York University. He moved to Athens, Georgia, where he practiced medicine, and in 1851 became professor of physiology and pathological anatomy at the Memphis Medical College. While in Memphis, he became friends with Bishop James Otey and decided to study for the ordained ministry. Quintard was ordained deacon on January 1, 1855, and priest on January 6, 1856. He served as rector of the Church of the Advent, Nashville, until he was consecrated Bishop of Tennessee on October 11, 1865, during the meeting of the General Convention in St. Luke’s Church, Philadelphia. Thomas Gailor, D.D., writes in Christ Church Nashville 1829-1929, “This was the first consecration of a Bishop after the war of the sixties; and the fact that bishops of both northern and southern dioceses took part in the service was a blessed witness to the unity of the Church.” (p. 117). Bishop Quintard was instrumental in the revival of the Episcopal Church in Tennessee. Hoping that the Episcopal Church would also expand its evangelistic work among African Americans, he opposed plans to segregate the black congregations of the denomination, and assisted in the founding of Hoffman Hall, a seminary for African Americans adjacent to Fisk University in Nashville. He was a supporter of the Oxford Movement and was deeply interested in the educational mission of the church. Bishop Quintard was the second founder of the University of the South after the devastation of the Civil War. In March 1866, he went to Sewanee, selected locations for the buildings, and planted a cross. He served as the first vice-chancellor of the University from February 14, 1867 until July 12, 1872, and presided at its official opening on September 18, 1868. He made several trips to England to raise money for the University. On one of those trips he convinced a woman to give the money for a theological building. This resulted in the construction of St. Luke's Hall, so named because Bishop Quintard was a physician. Bishop Quintard served as Bishop of Tennessee until his death on February 15, 1898.

Bishop Quintard’s efforts to support missions for the African Americans in the diocese resulted in the forging of a tie between the Diocese of Tennessee and the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas in Philadelphia, founded by the Reverend Absalom Jones. In 1891, Alexander C. Victor Cartier, described as a “former Romish monk,” was serving as the Proctor of Hoffman Hall, the seminary founded by Bishop Quintard. Bishop Quintard ordained Cartier a deacon in 1894 and he immediately started serving as priest-in-charge of St. Augustine’s Mission, Nashville. Ordained a priest in 1895 by Bishop Quintard, by 1897 Fr. Cartier was also serving at St. Cyprian’s, Gallatin. That same year, the Rev. Robert Caswell, Archdeacon for Colored Work for the Diocese of Tennessee, stated in his report “The Proctor [of Hoffman Hall], the Rev. A.C.V. Cartier carefully arranges every detail of the Chapel Services so as to conduce to reverence and Christian joyfulness. A high standard is aimed at in the daily Choral Services, and well attained.” After serving congregations in Minnesota, Colorado, and Florida, the Reverend Cartier was received into the Diocese of Pennsylvania on December 16, 1905, and became the eighth rector of the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas shortly thereafter. He was rector there from 1906 to 1912.

 

 

Dianne Green